Consumer-Driven Digital Network for Retail
Digitizing your supply chain has become a business imperative in order to compete effectively in the new age of Retail. New competitive pressures are forcing you to invest in new digital omnichannel models, which will inevitably force you to transform your supply chain to reduce costs, increase velocity and improve end-to-end transparency across the network.
Enter the One Network Consumer-Driven Network. By leveraging One Network, you will be able to digitize your supply network, improve your on-shelf availability, increase your revenues, reduce your COGS, slash your inventories and gain visibility across your entire B2B network.
The Digital Advantage
Do you need to…
- Improve your on-shelf availability?
- Reduce your cost of goods sold?
- Optimize your inventories?
- Improve the visibility and traceability across your entire supply chain?
- Improve your omnichannel fulfillment performance across all channels?
If so, it is time for you to implement a Digital Supply Network!
One Network’s cloud platform provides a multi-party platform that allows you to:
- Seamlessly propagate the demand signal back from your stores through your supply network;
- Balance demand and supply at every node in the network;
- Respond to demand signal in real time to fulfill consumer demand at the lowest cost, and;
- Achieve end-to-end visibility and transparency through your entire network.
Video: The Perfect Storm – The RTVN in Action
The actual results for inventory reduction that we have realized is double the goal that we initially set out to achieve and we identified specific products where inventory reduction could be reduced by 40 percent or more.
– Doug Lair, global director of material and logistics, Dana Commercial Vehicle Driveline Technologies
Connect. Collaborate. Optimize. Execute.
One Networks marries planning and execution applications into one console to provide end-to-end supply chain visibility for course correction; thereby, eliminating the traditional divide between planning and execution. The RTVN enables visibility and data to flow across the entire value chain of business partners – in real-time, which brings supply chain visibility and performance to an entirely new level.
– Seth Lippincott, Nucleus Research
ONE Platform and DevNet
You cannot build a house (or a network for that matter) without the right foundation, so let’s start there. Orchestrating multi-party processes on a single network platform requires some serious construction work – but the good news is that we did it all for you.
The ONE Platform is an Application Platform-as-a-Service (aPaaS) that is designed for multi-party network ecosystems from the ground up. No other network platform in the market will give you all the features that we have built over the years, such as:
- Permissibility Model. One Network has built a patented multi-party permissibility model that controls what everyone can see and do on the network with the highest levels of security.
- Community Data Model. You cannot operate a network without a single definition of the items, parties and locations. We take care of that for you, no matter which standards you and your partners use to share your data on the network.
- Modularity. All our applications can be used in a modular way to enable configurable multi-party processes on the network. You only deploy what you need.
- Interoperability. A digital supply network needs to connect to enterprise systems of record to enable integrated processes. This is why we built a deep expertise in integration technologies, and publish a public API will all our modules.
- Scalability. We deployed a horizontally scalable middle tier with grid computing architecture in order to be able to operate massive amounts of computation in real time. When we say real time, we mean it!
- Reliability. Our cloud is built on a highly redundant and reliable architecture, and we guarantee an industry best on time availability.
- Flexibility. Last but not least, the platform supports highly flexible and configurable business processes. Even better, we invite all our partners and customers to leverage our rich SDK to build additional capabilities on the ONE platform. The development tools on the platform enable the rapid development of innovative, supportable, Software-as-as-Service (SaaS) applications for business networks. So don’t hesitate to join our Developer Network (called DevNet) to learn and build on the ONE Platform, exchange ideas, leverage shareware, and market your apps!
Join Developer Network (DevNet), our developer community, to learn and build on ONE Platform, exchange ideas, leverage shareware, and market your apps. Amplify the value of your services and applications by deploying on a large fast growing business network.
The first level of digitization is to fully understand what is going on in your supply network, manage by exception, and resolve all the exceptions in real time.
First things first, let’s model your supply network with all the nodes and lanes connecting all the parties (you, your customers, distributors, suppliers, carriers, etc.). Then let’s identify the standards that you want to measure for each node and lane (e.g. inventory levels, order capture to order shipment cycle time – you name it). Then let’s build the alerts that will get flagged every time one of these standards is not complied with. Simple enough.
And, by the way, you can model your network differently at any level in your product hierarchy in case you have different routes to market from suppliers to stores. Some of your items may go through your retail distribution centers, some may be delivered direct to store by your DSD partners. Not a problem. We can handle it all.
Then we go to work and work with you to connect all your B2B partners to the network. We are experts in any integration protocol (kind of hard to operate a network without it), and we also offer a portal interface to allow the not-so-technical parties to collaborate on the network.
The result? Your team will be able to manage the entire supply network by exception, drill down into each exception to fully understand the issue, and resolve it there and then by using a built-in chat interface. Who said it was difficult to manage your entire supply network in real time?
And we deliver the analytics to you as well, so you have all the insights to understand what is working and not working for every node and every lane on your network. Now you can work with your distributors, suppliers and carriers to improve the overall performance of the network. And the best of it? No endless debate with your supply chain partners. Why? Because everyone on the network uses the same single version of the truth! No more confusion about your data vs. their data. A single network is a beautiful thing.
The second level of digitization allows you to optimize your multi-party processes across all the tiers included in your network definition.
The purpose of Optimized Execution is to allow you to:
- Seamlessly propagate the demand signal back through the supply network;
- Balance demand and supply at every node in the supply network in near real time, and;
- Respond to demand signal in near real time to fulfill consumer demand at the lowest cost
This Real-Time Sense and Respond approach is not new, yet retailers have not been able to implement it. Why? Because they rely solely on enterprise-centric capabilities that need to be connected across enterprises via EDI, spreadsheets or emails! This disconnected and siloed way of doing things is structurally flawed. It will deliver delays, frictions and inefficiencies that make the goal of Real-Time Sense and Respond impossible to achieve.
Digitizing your supply network by deploying the Optimized Execution capabilities of the One Network will allow you to deploy a true Real-Time Sense and Respond model. Finally.
And you can start wherever you want based on your business needs. You need to improve your demand sensing accuracy? Check. You need to reduce your inventory levels? Check. You need to improve your DC operations? Check. You are in control.
Integrated Business Planning and Execution
The third level of digitization is to leverage your network data to optimize your financial decisions. You can access a financial view of your demand and supply plans, in the form of a Directional P&L. At a glance, that P&L view will allow you to monitor the financial impact of demand and supply execution, and take corrective actions to ensure financial success. You can use this solution to optimize your network in multiple ways:
- Operationally. You face a disruption to your business and you need to evaluate the impact on your financials. You can then take the appropriate action based on the nature of the disruption.
- Tactically. You can use what-if scenario planning to look for the best option to achieve your financial targets.
- Strategically. You can take the long term view and integrate the data into your strategic planning decisions related to, for example, capex planning and strategic sourcing.
Supply Chain Control Tower
One Network enables all four levels of supply chain control tower deployment, from visibility, collaboration, autonomous decision-making to advanced cognitive capabilities.
A One Network Control Tower offers:
- End-to-end-visibility – across all your supply chain trading partners
- Collaborative information sharing – to align all parties around supply and demand
- Early warning alerts and exception management – resolve issues before they disrupt your supply chain
- Predictive and prescriptive analytics – decision support
- Autonomous decision-making and control
- Cognitive capabilities – a self-correcting supply chain with using machine learning
One Network’s Platform can be deployed as a System of Engagement on top of Enterprise Systems of Record. If and when it makes sense, ONE Platform can take on the functionality of legacy systems.
How One Network Can Help You
|Use Case (What)||Business Outcome
(Why a Consumer-Driven Network)
|End to end traceability||Maintain end-to-end traceability of products throughout the entire supply chain, from field to shelf||VP Supply Chain, VP Quality||Control Tower (visibility + alerts)||Maintain traceability of products across the entire supply network|
|Product labeling||Provide origin information to consumers||VP Innovation/R&D, VP Marketing||Control Tower (visibility + alerts)||Leverage traceability information to deliver origin information to consumers (e.g. which farm the produce came from)|
|Food safety||Maintain food safety across the entire chain of custody||VP Quality and Safety||Control Tower (visibility + alerts)||Manage the chain of custody across the entire supply network|
|Sales collaboration||Improve the quality and productivity of the sales calls by reducing the amount of time spent on operational issues and increasing the time spent on revenue growth||VP Sales||Control Tower (visibility + alerts)||Leverage common data shared by trading partners on the network in order to deliver common metrics and improve the ability to measure business performance + ability to analyze sales performance|
|Supply chain agility||Monitor supply chain performance in real time, get alerts on supply chain disruptions and collaborate in real time with your trading partners to resolve issues||VP Supply Chain||Control Tower (visibility + alerts)||Model all the events and milestones on the network and to be alerted of any issues in real time + ability to collaborate with trading partners in real time to resolve issues|
|Supplier performance||Measure the performance of suppliers based on agreed-upon metrics + leverage the performance numbers to drive operational and strategic improvements||VP Sourcing, VP Procurement||Optimized Execution (Inbound)||Measure supplier performance based on agreed-upon metrics tracked on the network based on a single version of the truth|
|On shelf availability||Improve OSA performance, esp. on promoted items and new item introductions||VP Merchandising, VP Sales, VP Store Operations||Optimized Execution (Outbound)||Improve forecast accuracy (esp. on promoted items and new product introductions) + ability to process order forecasts and orders throughout the network to increase accuracy and timeliness of store replenishment|
|Cost to serve||Reduce total landed cost to the retail store||VP Supply Chain||Optimized Execution (Outbound)||Optimize the upstream supply chain and to reduce the product and distribution costs that total up to the landed cost to the store|
|Inventory optimization||Reduce inventory levels at every node on the network, while maintaining high service levels||VP Inventory Mgmt||Optimized Execution (Outbound)||Optimize inventory levels at every node in the entire supply network|
|eCommerce fulfillment||Improve forecast accuracy, accelerate order processing, improve order promising and improve logistics execution||VP Fulfillment||Optimized Execution (Outbound)||Optimize fulfillment process to the DC and ensure product availability for consumer shipments|
|DSD||Improve profitability of DSD programs, by improving and integrating forecasting, planning and execution across trading partners||VP Sales, VP Supply Chain||Optimized Execution (Outbound)||Increase store forecast accuracy and replenishment orders + ability to optimize delivery schedule to retail stores|
|Product allocation||Optimize allocation of products in short supply situations||VP Supply Chain||Optimized Execution (Outbound)||Monitor product availability across the network, and to make intelligent decisions to allocate inventory to optimize revenues and margins|
|Delivery cycle time performance||Reduce the delivery cycle times to the retail stores||VP Sales, VP Channels||Optimized Execution (Outbound)||Reduce cycle times from order capture to delivery by eliminating all the process delays and frictions between trading partners|
|Joint business planning||Improve ability to strategically align business goals and performance criteria in order to achieve joint growth objectives||COO, VP Sales||Integrated Business Planning||Agree on joint metrics and business objectives, and to measure performance against these objectives on the network based on a single version of the truth|
|Financial agility||Monitor financial performance in real time, perform what if analysis and react to performance deviations (on the demand or on the supply side) to correct performance before the end of the reporting period||CFO||Integrated Business Planning||Model impact of sales and supply initiatives based on data stored on the network + ability to take action in near real time to correct performance deviations|
The Shelf-Connected Supply Chain
Learn how Retailers can lower costs and increase sales with a new approach to forecasting, replenishment, collaboration, and S&OP.
An Industry Network for Retail and Consumer Products
One Network’s cloud platform provides an end-to-end operating backbone that supports some of the world’s largest retail and consumer goods companies. The network provides powerful and integrated planning, execution and transportation solutions, with total visibility and control across your entire supply chain, making it more responsive and efficient and lowering costs for all parties.
Safeway: A Retail Supply Chain Case Study
Within 78 days from contractual signature, Safeway rolled out an automated solution across their entire business providing corporate-wide purchase order visibility, online carrier selection and tendering, and in-route shipment visibility from their manufacturers to their distribution centers. Additionally Safeway centralized the storage and maintenance of contracts, which resulted in dramatic increase in compliance worth a large six figure bottom line improvement.
Home and Same-Day Delivery for Retailers
This white paper explains why home delivery and same-day delivery are the new battleground for retailers, and how they can use the advantage that retailers have to regain market share.
Achieving On-Time and In-Full Performance
This white paper explains what we learned about fixing the lack of On-Time, In-Full performance in Grocery Retailing and what we found by analyzing the numbers.
Fixing Grocery Retail’s 10 Billion Dollar Problem
This report explains a simple solution that dramatically boosts OTIF performance and enables significant benefits for both suppliers and retailer.